The first day of teaching as an ALT was so much fun! The children are so sweet and so interested in learning about me – they’re even a little bit interested in learning English. =P Most love to participate and give a good effort to learn English words, and most can easily say, “Hello, nice to meet you, My name is __________ and I like _________,” without hesitation. Several will even approach outside of class to tell their name. So cute!
45 minutes to teach a lesson really isn’t much time. Not as much time as it seemed it would be, anyway.
Since I was anxious my first day, I ended up getting up at 5:30 because I couldn't sleep, and I left at 6:30 to make sure I had enough time to bike to the school. (I was sure I’d get lost.) Turns out it only took about 40 minutes, and that was with me stopping to look at the map every so often. So now I know I don’t need to leave until 7:10!
I arrived and someone showed me my shoe cubby. After I put on my inside shoes and placed my other shoes in my cubby, she showed me to the teachers’ room. I waited in the principal’s office for a bit (where someone served me green tea, of course). I hadn’t met this principal yet (just the vice principal), and he is very nice. The teacher in charge of the English program at Ooya Higashi Elementary showed me where the English teaching supplies is, then showed me to my desk, where I spent the first period preparing.
When it came time for second period, 4 children from the class I was scheduled to teach came to pick me up from the teachers’ room and lead me to their classroom. So cute!! Next came a small recess, and then I taught two periods in a row before lunch. Starting next week, I will eat lunch in various classrooms with the students, but for the two days this week, I just ate in the teachers’ room.
My coworkers at Culex were very right when they said that we’re pretty much treated like stars. The kids got so excited at every picture I showed them – pictures of family, or a flower, or a bee, it didn't matter. They really liked the picture I had of a prairie dog – “Kawaii!” (cute) they all yelled. Just like children anywhere else, these kids are so excited and energetic. They loved the silly pictures I had of Roy and Sam, said that Dad looks “kakkoi” (cool) and mom is “kirei” (pretty). They also saw I like Stitch from ‘Lilo and Stitch’, and they all wanted to show me their Stitch stuff.
With no more classes to teach after lunch and cleaning time, I was left with three hours of trying to figure out what else to do. I went over some lesson materials left by the previous ALT and organized my desk a few times. Since hopefully I shouldn’t have to ride a bike again after Wednesday, I’ll be able to take more stuff in the future, which will help pass that extra time. (Honestly, I really could take more stuff with the bike, if I wanted to -- the baskets on the bikes fit a lot of stuff -- but I don't want any of my stuff stolen.)
On Friday I went to my other school, Samukawa Elementary. Samukawa is much smaller than Ooya Sho, with only 74 student. I teach 47 of those students (grades 3 to 6) once a week, every Friday. Since Samukawa is so small, there is a actually a room where everyone eats lunch together, instead of eating with their individual classes, so that was interesting.
I'm having a difficult time conversing with the teachers outside of class, but I'll improve! More of the teachers at Samukawa tried to talk to me than at the other school, and they were really patient with me as I struggled to understand them and communicate in return. My boss's wife (Araki-san, who picked us up from the airport) is also patient and will try to talk with me rather than just avoid talking altogether. With people like that around me, I can't but improve!
Sounds like you're having a great time! What is it with Stitch, I wonder? Did I ever give you that one? I have it in Japanese.
ReplyDeleteNo, I didn't get that one from you. But with all the people who adore it here, I think I'll definitely acquire it for myself! :3
ReplyDelete